[WEB4LIB] Re: E-mail in Public Libraries

Hanan Cohen hanan at qglibrary.org.il
Thu Jan 6 02:10:45 EST 2000

I think we should remember why public libraries exist for the first place. The
community (tax payers) chooses to fund a public service that most people in the
community cannot afford privately. First libraries "served" books and
periodicals, then started loaning CD's and video tapes and now serve computer
usage. It's all very consistent.

In our library we have set up a computer class for people to search the internet
and CD's. In just a few weeks, we saw that what most kids wanted was a place to
type their homework because they didn't have a computer at home or because they
find it very comfortable to do it near the books they need.

Now the we have about 20 computers, a scanner and color printers. The kids don't
pay for the usage, just for scanning and printing. It really warms my heart to
see those kids bring books from the kids library, scan, insert the pictures to
their work and happily do their homework using the resources we give them.

--
Hanan Cohen

Kibbutz Tamuz - Beit Shemesh http://www.tamuz.org.il
Qiriat Gat Library - http://www.qglibrary.org.il