[WEB4LIB] Re: Restricting launches to IP-restricted licensed

Jennifer Heise jahb at lehigh.edu
Wed Jan 5 17:37:29 EST 2000

> Fascinating discussion, but could it be getting off-point? The question was,
> more or less,
>
> If the vendor is using IP authentication, then should the library also be doing
> IP authentication?

Ah, well, if that's the question, of course not.

If the question is, if the vendor is using IP authentication, might you
still have to restrict access via password or other authentication--
Well, I'd think that depends on your license agreements.

The general concensus among our librarians is that the fact that almost
all terminals in our IP address range require logging in with a valid
student, faculty or staff ID and password, means that the additional
authentication is done already.

Jenne Heise,
Student & General Team, Lehigh University Information Resources
Usual disclaimers apply