[WEB4LIB] re: Everything on library public terminals

Gary E. Masters gmasters at tamiu.edu
Wed Jan 5 15:23:39 EST 2000

At 11:13 AM 1/5/2000 -0800, Karen G. Schneider wrote:
>When the dust settles after our deployment of PCs that are replacing (yuck)
>dumb terminals, we are going to take the CDs, now scattered across four
>machines, and consolidate them on one standalone, hopefully on a humongous
>hard drive (listed in the official technology budget for this year as
>"Humongous Hard Drive"), assuming we have enough left to warrant dedicating
>the whole machine to it (if not, you will be able to do Internet on the CD
>machine... but you will not be able to do CDs on the other Internet
>machines...).
Karen:

I have moved my CD's to a hard drive tower, but still prefer to go to the
Internet for database services.  Every now and then they seem to cause a
fault.  And the extra hard drive space requires a lot more RAM on the
server - which I did not fully appreciate before I got the hard drives.

But my note is that when I set up the system and spent the time and effort
to use all PC's and no dumb terminals, the other librarians continued to
call every workstation a terminal.  (Probably because they were terminal
emulators.)  But I got quite grumpy about it all.

Regards,

Gary Masters

Gary E. Masters
Automated Services Librarian