[WEB4LIB] Battle.net & starcraft

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Wed Jan 5 12:26:21 EST 2000

> I'm monitoring a high school library and kids have just started playing
> Starcraft (?) over the internet using www.battle.net. I've tried to find
> programs that they have loaded on the workstations, but so far no luck. If
> programs have been loaded onto the workstations, what are they? Is there
> anyway to stop this (electronically) without blocking the battle.net site
> (which I doubt would work)

WarCraft II is supported on Battle.net as well as StarCraft.

WarCraft II installed itself in the C:\war2 directory on my machine.  I
can't remember where StarCraft lives.  Look for "C:\Program Files\StarCraft"
or "C:\Program Files\Blizzard", although if they're crafty the students may
have installed it into some other directory --that's what I would do :)

Maybe look for war2.exe or starcraft.exe.

It might be possible to run the games directly from the CD as well.  I don't
remember.

I'm not sure about stopping this.  You may have to resort to blocking
Battle.net if the game playing is a big problem.  A firewall or other
(local) security software would certainly do it.

Many recent games have the option of playing directly on the Internet,
without a commercial host like Battle.net (i.e. one machine functions as the
game server, and the others just join a game hosted using IP address).  Not
sure how you would stop that.

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc.                        Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
  Programmer/Analyst                            http://gollum.usask.ca/
  Consulting & Development, Computing Services
  University of Saskatchewan                   "The Truth Is Out There"