[WEB4LIB] Mac resurgence

CBailey512 at aol.com CBailey512 at aol.com
Sat Jan 15 00:34:04 EST 2000

<< Subj:     [WEB4LIB] Mac resurgence
 Date:  00-01-14 17:45:21 EST
 From:  rtennant at library.berkeley.edu (Roy Tennant)
 Sender:    web4lib at webjunction.org
 To:    web4lib at webjunction.org (Multiple recipients of list)

 Has anyone else noticed the resurgence in Mac users out there? I monitor
 the platforms that my users have who come to my site at:

 http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/platforms.pl

 using my hack job on Thomas Dowling's handy-dandy Perl program. A while
 back, when Apple was bottoming out, I noticed that my Mac user's had
 fallen to somewhere around 6-7% after being fairly stable at around
 10-12%. Now that same statistic is up past 20% on a regular basis. The
 Mac's back!
 Roy

Roy,

My first computer back in 81 was an Apple II and I still have a soft spot for
them. But The Mac has virtually disappeared from all but the professional
graphics shops in our area. Our metro area .. Youngstown_Warren,Ohio  is
almost a million souls and I do not know of a single remaining retail dealer.
Nor have I seen any software for sale on local retail shelves. In contrast,
our local Best Buy had 5 different distributions of Linux and even several
copies of BEOS.

There seem to be Mac "pockets". My niece took her new HP to college in mid
Ohio this fall and has about the only wintel box in her dorm.

CD Bailey
Hubbard,OH