[WEB4LIB] RE: of mouse balls and such

Tara Calishain calumet at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 3 17:01:02 EST 2000

At 01:57 PM 1/3/2000 -0800, Dan Robinson  Indexing Services wrote:
>Whoa.... why include ATMs in the 'no instructions needed'
>category. Can a naive user walk up to an ATM and use it the first
>time with no chance of error?

Guilty. I knew that one would get some detractors. That's not ubiquitous
yet either.

I will stand by push-button phones. :->

>I would be glad to prove the point... with someone else's money.
><grin>

BTW, since this is a list for librarians (though I'm not a librarian;
thanks for
letting me hang out here) I'd like to recommend a book.

The Design of Everyday Things  by Donald A. Norman will give you scads
of examples of bad design. It "woke me up" and made me pay more attention
to the dozens of interfaces with which I have to deal every day.

Tara