[WEB4LIB] RE: of mouse balls and such

Jennifer Heise jahb at lehigh.edu
Mon Jan 3 16:09:49 EST 2000

> I work in a library where we quite often get people that have never
> touched a computer in their rather long lives (50+), and after a few
> minutes of hand-holding, they're mousing around the screen like a pro...

In the last two years, I and a couple other librarians have taught an
ElderHostel class on using the Internet. One of the sections is 'Mouse
Aerobics' where we take them through the basics of using the mouse and
have them practice.
Depending on the screen settings, up to half the class cannot control
the mouse well enough to consistently click on things by the end of the
second day... the commonest problem is moving the mouse when attempting
to click. So, not all the 50+ people can get to 'mousing around like a
pro' with a few moments of hand-holding.

--
/   Jennifer Heise, Web Mgmnt, Lehigh Univ. Information Resources
\ \ Linderman Library, 30 Library Drive, Bethlehem PA 18015
  / Phone (610) 758-3072          Email: jahb at lehigh.edu

"Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard