Filters/Reference Service

Michael Stephens m.stephens at gomail.sjcpl.lib.in.us
Sun Feb 27 15:30:52 EST 2000

Greetings all!

I am preparing a talk for the Indiana Library Federation meeting in mid
March. I'll be discussing how filters could/can impede reference service,
etc... if you have any examples or thoughts, I'd love to hear them!
Please email me privately! I will post to the list and cite your help in
my presentation...

Here's the blurb:

How do filters affect reference or finding information on the Internet?
Are there certain types of filters that are better than others in the
sense of access? We will examine leading types of filtering: Software,
proxy servers, etc. as well as describe ways that filters might hinder
the reference librarian's work. We also will look at solutions for those
roadblocks.

Thanks!!

Enjoying this fab northern Indiana weather,