[WEB4LIB] Re: Google ?

Greg Notess align at montana.edu
Fri Feb 25 20:15:58 EST 2000

As Danny points out, this page is included in the search results because some other page in the Google index linked from 'madird' to that site. If you really want to dig, you can search for all pages in the Google database that link to that first listed page by entering the search as
	link:http://www.upm.es/centros/euitag.html
That finds eight pages. Looking at the cached files for each of those eight pages (the version of the page that Google indexed), finds that only three of them link on the misspelling of 'madird' (the two at eina.com and one  at arrakis.es.

So, apparently, Google rates that page higher because three other pages in its index point to it as a link. Meanwhile, other pages that have 'madird' in the title of the page do not rank as highly as page which does not contain the misspelling but that have three pages linking to it using the misspelling. By the way, you can also verify that the top ranked page did not include the misspelling by taking a look at the cached version.

--
Greg R. Notess   greg at notess.com     <http://notess.com>
Montana State University-Bozeman Library