NetKey and printing

bmazin bmazin at mhl.org
Fri Feb 25 18:30:05 EST 2000

Is anyone out there using NetKey as a secure browswer, instead of trying to
lock down Netscape or IE?  We are using it for our public webpacs, and are
considering using it for all web browsing.  The biggest problem we see in
using it for more than just the webpacs is that it has no facility for
specifying which pages to print, or for printing a selection. The good news
is that the message pops up that the page is printing, so the user shouldn't
hit the print button a second time.  The bad news is that the Reference
staff (and patron!) will freak out when 50 pages start to print and they
can't stop it.  Has anyone discovered a workaround for this? Or is anyone
using NetKey and just accepting that every once in a while a very long
document is going to use up a lot of toner, paper, and printer time that
noone is going to pay for (except the library, of course).

Beth Mazin
Assistant Director
Memorial Hall Library
Elm Square