[WEB4LIB] Resetting the Home Page

Charles P. Hobbs transit at primenet.com
Thu Feb 24 13:25:46 EST 2000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Andrew Mutch wrote:

> I've run across another security issue with Internet Explorer.  Some sites,
> such as Excite, provide you the option of resetting your browser's home page
> to their site.  If you grant the site permission to do so, it will replace
> your default with their address.  This is fine and dandy for home users but
> can be a real pain in a library setting.

I remember a similar discussion about such. If I recall, half the screens
in our library were showing "flightsimmers.net" instead of our home page.
A little source code mining turned up some Javascript commands, only
available in IE (not Netscape) that allow web pages to reset some browser
settings, including the default page.

That conversations starts at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9910/0247.html