NoTheaterMode vs. FullScreen

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Feb 23 17:18:10 EST 2000

An update on my crusade to not merely launch IE in fullscreen mode... but
STAY there....

Well, having experimented with the options, this is what I have found so
far.  The registry setting NoTheaterMode works as advertised; you can use it
to disable toggling the theater mode (which is... or is not?... a synonym
for full screen mode...).  You can also (as I had been doing before) force
the browser to open in full screen.  So with both policy settings enabled,
what happens is that I can launch the browser in full screen (nice!), hit
restore and get out of full-screen mode (sad!) and then, because I've
disabled the ability to do so, I can't even get back IN to full-screen mode
(grrrrr...)

If I disable NoTheaterMode, I am at least back to where I was.  Maybe (since
I can remove the full-screen button, and lock out the View menu) I could
remove the F11 key?  I mean, who needs it, anyway?  (eyes whirling in head)

This is a day when I have been OBT (Overcome By Technology).  I must sit
alone in a bee-loud glade, playing Dilbert's IQ Test on my PDA...

But if you hear of a registry setting that removes or disables Restore...

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director of Technology
Shenendehowa Public Library, Clifton Park, NY
http://www.shenpublib.org