[WEB4LIB] Re: specific request on HTML coding re: colour of

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Wed Feb 23 12:44:25 EST 2000

At 9:01 AM -0800 2/23/2000, Mike Madin wrote:
>  > >From a usability point of view, links without underlines are very bad.
>>  Read more about it in :  Top Ten Mistakes in Web Design revisited
>>  http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990502.html
>
>How about blue text only via a mouseover [I know it's hard to add for
>Netscape]? For long table of contents is it better to have the jarring all
>blue-linked text or make the link color the default text color?
>
>See for example http://www.academicinfo.net/table.html or even the
>University of Washington's library catalog main page at
>http://catalog.lib.washington.edu/search .
>
>I'm responsible for the design of the Univ. of Washington's Law Library
>catalog at http://marian.law.washington.edu/ and I'd love to get rid of all
>the blue text.

Your examples are pretty reasonable, but the blue text in your third
page is not bad either.  If it helps five people a day figure out
that they should click there, isn't it worth the aesthetic annoyance?

I would recommend that you test this by making a non-blue version and
running 10 or 15 volunteers through it, just to see what happens.
Don't tell them that you're testing link colors, and do make sure you
get people who are relatively new to the Web, rather than power
users.  Just ask them to perform a couple of tasks that require them
to choose from your listings, and see whether they get confused.
Real tests beat opinions (even mine!) any day ;-)

Avi