[WEB4LIB] RE: library vs internet

John Hubbard jhubbard at haverford.edu
Tue Feb 22 08:00:01 EST 2000

Hello,

I would also add that while the exponentially increasing amount of materials
available on the Internet represent a broad range of subjects, the current
depth and density of any serious Internet collections are usually vastly
outnumbered by frivolous, dubious, or redundant indexable matter and
outweighed by the caliber of printed works found in any medium-sized public
library. The entailing major difference between libraries and the Internet
is that while libraries depend on funding to supplement scholarly
collections, the Internet, as a more interactive and entertaining medium, is
primarily driven by commercial or personal interests and accompanied with
virtually no bibliographic control.

Furthermore, as a consequence of the economic tendencies of online
information, many free Internet services, including the major search
engines, are subsidized by corporate sponsorships. This should not
necessarily be taken by users as an overwhelming detriment to their
functionality, no more than is paying taxes to support libraries, as long as
the advertising within Internet indexes is not ambiguously disguised or
confused with the supposedly objective editorial content. The problem here
is instead the presence of unwanted and unauthorized advertising, prevalent
within many automated Internet search tools that rely on author indexing and
lacking human editorial control, resulting in deceptive and faulty database
entries being successfully made for commercial gain.

John Hubbard
Haverford College
(from an essay I wrote for school on indexing the Internet:
http://www.tk421.net/essays/babel.shtml)