[WEB4LIB] Re: Choosing Web Editors

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Feb 17 15:42:51 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Askey" <daskey at library.utah.edu>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2000 2:19 PM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: Choosing Web Editors

> It appears we all have very divergent opinions on the best way to
> skin the HTML cat. While not wishing to step on anyone's toes, I
> must confess that several years ago I stopped seeing the virtue in
> exercising total control over my HTML that a text editor allows.
> Browsers are so error-tolerant and are likely to stay that way for a
> good, long while.

It's a vicious circle.  Browsers have to be error tolerant because so many
pages out there are created with editors that fill them with errors.  As
tolerant as they are, you don't have to break too many tags in a page to
discover that browsers don't always recover from errors in the same way.

It's possible that you started web authoring after Netscape 2.0 rose to
dominance.  If so, you might want to consider the error tolerance in this
bit of browser history:

  http://silver.ohiolink.edu/tdowling/comments.html

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu