[WEB4LIB] Re: Choosing Web Editors

Dale Askey daskey at library.utah.edu
Thu Feb 17 13:49:21 EST 2000

It appears we all have very divergent opinions on the best way to
skin the HTML cat. While not wishing to step on anyone's toes, I
must confess that several years ago I stopped seeing the virtue in
exercising total control over my HTML that a text editor allows.
Browsers are so error-tolerant and are likely to stay that way for a
good, long while. Also, with the various validators out there, I can
clean up pages generated in WYSIWYG editors in a few minutes. At
work I use Dreamweaver, while at home I use the much-maligned--
and rightfully so, frankly--FrontPig, and while I prefer
Dreamweaver, both programs have so many cool features--link
checking, global spell checking, file location management--that save
me loads of time that I would never consider going back to a text
editor. Granted, I spend much of my time in both programs viewing
code and editing it by hand, anyway, but I'm addicted to those other
features, and for good reason.

My two cents.

Dale
______