[WEB4LIB] RE: going "back" from sites

Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Mon Feb 14 19:46:16 EST 2000

In my experience, the most common reason why the Back button will not work is that the current web page has opened in a
new browser window. This means that your history and Go menu start fresh. The Back and Forward buttons gray out, because
you have nowhere to go.

The remedy is to close the new browser window, or to shrink it .  When you close it, the old browser window appears,
with the previous web page and all of your history intact. If you shrink it, you will see the old browser window hiding
behind it, and it takes only a mouse click to switch between windows.

Jean Hewlett
University of San Francisco / North Bay Cooperative Library System
hewlett at usfca.edu