[WEB4LIB] PDF files and scanners

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Feb 10 11:36:09 EST 2000

PDF files also preserves the author's copyright in that the original
content is not changed in any way including font face and type just the
media it is presented in is changed.  We use pdf files for electronic
reserves which allows us to password pdf files so that only the few
allowed to use these documents can access them just as in paper
reserves.  Another security option in pdf allows a setting for not
allowing the document to be printed.

Thomas

"Michael A. Weber" wrote:

> Hello web4libers:
>
> I am working on putting our college viewbook out on our webpage in Abode
> Acrobat "pdf" files.
>
> I having a little trouble with resolution.
>
> I can't read the text that I have in my multi-colored, photopacked file.
>
> I am beginning to think that my trouble may be that I need a better
> scanner.  I am using a HP ScanJet 6100C.
>
> What kind quality of a scanner is necessary for this work?
> What specs should I be looking for?
> Are there tricks to scanning more efficiently?
>
> Another problem source may be how I save the file.  I cannot save the file
> directly as a PDF file.  I am saving it as Bitmap (default option) and then
> translating it into a pdf in Photoshop.  I do have other options to save it
> in initially like -- tiff, compressed tiff.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike Weber
>
> Michael Weber
> Dr. Frank A. Franco Library
> ALVERNIA COLLEGE
> 400 St. Bernardine Street
> Reading PA  19518
> (610) 796-8352
> (610) 796-8347 Fax
> webermi at alvernia.edu

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine