[WEB4LIB] PDF tax-forms: links or download locally and link

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Feb 10 10:49:35 EST 2000

Jerry,

At my old job when we were trying to push Internet, catalog and circulation
through a 56K pipe, tax forms wreaked havoc on the response time.  I downloaded
all of our state tax forms and shared them off our network server.  I was
fortunate enough to get the Federal forms on CD and also shared that on the
network.  These measures really made an appreciable difference not only on our
bandwidth demands but also on staff and customer satisfaction.  I remember the
poor response times we would get from the IRS web site and the slowest times
always seemed to coincide with the heaviest patron demand.  Of course, you had
to keep up with the tax forms as I found that forms would be added or updated as
the tax season progressed.  After we migrated to a T-1 connection, we had less
difficulty with state tax forms but there were still times that having them
locally was a real bonus.

If you have the time and the ability to keep up with them, I would definitely
look at downloading the state forms and getting the Federal forms on CD-ROM,
especially for libraries with low-bandwidth connection.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI