PDF tax-forms: links or download locally and link

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Thu Feb 10 09:22:59 EST 2000

This question is primarily a concern at public libraries, but I'd also like
to hear if any Web4lib subscribers have views.
PDF tax form files can be real bandwidth hogs to download, yet are in such
heavy demand that we have created prominent links to the federal and state
form sites on our member library web pages. Have any libraries opted to
alleviate the bandwidth demands by pre-loading  PDF tax  forms on their LAN
or individual pcs, and creating links to them?

BTW, in many various discussion group threads on viewers, plug-ins, etc.,
I've haven't heard anyone suggest that conscious non-support of viewers or
plug-ins for various file formats is a type of censorship; whereas that
accusation has been made against libraries that attempt to block web email
or web-chat sites in the name of resource management. What's with that? Is
there something more sacrosanct about file formats that the big-market-share
browsers support?

Jerry Kuntz
Ramapo Catskill Library System
jkuntz at rcls.org