PDF files and scanners

Michael A. Weber webermi at alvernia.edu
Wed Feb 9 21:16:51 EST 2000

Hello web4libers:

I am working on putting our college viewbook out on our webpage in Abode
Acrobat "pdf" files.

I having a little trouble with resolution.

I can't read the text that I have in my multi-colored, photopacked file.

I am beginning to think that my trouble may be that I need a better
scanner.  I am using a HP ScanJet 6100C.

What kind quality of a scanner is necessary for this work?
What specs should I be looking for?
Are there tricks to scanning more efficiently?

Another problem source may be how I save the file.  I cannot save the file
directly as a PDF file.  I am saving it as Bitmap (default option) and then
translating it into a pdf in Photoshop.  I do have other options to save it
in initially like -- tiff, compressed tiff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Weber

Michael Weber