[WEB4LIB] RE: Viewers for Word, Excel, etc.

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Feb 7 13:38:27 EST 2000

I know the fallacies with this notion but I am assuming you are using
Netscape on MS Windows machines since no other was mentioned.
So, if you don't want to download the plugins (I'm assuming the others
are pointing you to MS Plugins), you can associate .doc, .xls, and .ppt
with quikview.exe that comes with Microsoft Windows.  You should be able
to find this under C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VIEWERS
This program can also be used to view bmp, rtf, wk4, wks, wmf, wp5, wp6,
and others. I haven't tried all of these file types but from the .dll
files I've interpreted these file types to be viewable.  If you don't
find quikview then it wasn't check off to be installed from the CD when
the window's installation occurred.  There is no 'c' in quik.  So, you
can set this one application to view several types of files when you set
this up as a helper application in Netscape.  This program does not run
as a standalone program, at least not on my machine. And I expect you
will not need %1 in the setting because it is already expecting a file
instead of opening blank.

Thomas

PS. just in case- Yes, some linux installations and other systems do
have viewers for MS Word files.

"Paul H. Gray" wrote:

> Thanks to all ---
> That's what I get for asking a question before I have my coffee.
> Indeed - Microsoft has had the foresight to provide exactly what we need.
> PHG

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine