[WEB4LIB] Re: Mac software

Christopher Handy charta at inetdirect.net
Mon Feb 7 07:32:53 EST 2000

> MacHTTP is about 6 years old, has many memory and security flaws, and
> has been totally superceded by other server software, including the
> commercial version, WebSTAR, which is a very high-quality web, ftp,
> mail and proxy server with a lot of add-ons, password and SSL
> support, and a great manual (which I wrote ;-)

As a cheap server for some students to access their class materials without
Javascript passwords (perhaps I'm misremembering, but I thought this was
the context of the original question) MacHTTP should be perfectly fine.

Obviously Amazon.com isn't going to run its web site on it. But I don't
think the average users for whom the server continues to be marketed (e.g.
work groups, such as the students for whom I've run it) are expecting to
conduct e-commerce or have much need for a proxy server, SSL, or even a
great manual.

That said, I'd have to agree that Web Sharing probably makes more sense.
Especially since it's likely to be already installed on an iMac anyway.

Christopher Handy
Indianapolis Museum of Art Library
Indianapolis, Indiana