[WEB4LIB] Mac software

Christopher Handy charta at inetdirect.net
Thu Feb 3 22:35:44 EST 2000

> I have an IMac that I am setting up so that university art students can
> access study pages from home.  I do not have server software on this unit,
> it is accessed from other machines via Apple Share.  There are certain pages
> within the study site that need to be locked down with a password because of
> copyright requirements.  Javascript passwords appear very easy crack.  Can
> anyone recommend software that will do the job? Even cheap server software
> with a security component for individual pages?

You might investigate MacHTTP (shareware):

 <http://www.starnine.com/machttp/machttp.html>

It's not exactly state-of-the-art, but it's inexpensive and extremely easy
to install and configure (a few minutes). Name-password authentication is
available for restricting access to any folders or files on the server
(also very easy to configure).

Christopher Handy
Indianapolis Museum of Art Library
Indianapolis, Indiana