OPACs

Bigwood, David Bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Thu Feb 3 14:25:39 EST 2000

I'm wondering if anyone knows of OPACs which are using class schedules are a
search method.  Anyone willing to share how they are working and what the
users think?

Both Dewey and LCCN are now converted to the MARC classification format so
it should be possible.  It could enhance searching if a user enters feldspar
and the system did a search on QE391.F3 in the class fields as well as a
text search in the subject fields.  There is a hierarchy in the class
structures which could be used to narrow and broaden searches which would be
useful.  Class G could also be used to search field 052 to assist in
geographic searches.

How would the bib, authority and class files relate and interact.

On a smaller scale do any systems provide access to the MARC list of
geographic areas used in 043?  It might be useful if a patron searches for
Maine, a lookup is done and 043 searched for n-us-me as well as the text in
the subject fields.  This list is also structured so it could be used to
narrow or widen searches.

Would these enhancements be useful or just confusing to our users?

Thanks,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Lunar & Planetary Institute