[WEB4LIB] Case for Internet Explorer 5

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Feb 1 08:08:58 EST 2000

Ely,

When you run the setup for IE5, you have the option of doing a "custom" installation
that allows you to select which components you want installed.  I'm not sure what the
size of the "minimum" install is but it think it is more than 7 MB.  Also, you'll find
that there will be additional components that you will want to install that it might
consider "extras" but are really standard - like the Java machine.

You can pick and choose which language components you want to install - there are quite
a few to pick from.  You probably won't need or want to download other components like
FrontPage Express which bloat out the full install.  As far as I know, there in no
charge for IE5 or any of the add-on components.

I would say the features that I consider improvements in IE5 include:

* Faster at loading pages.
* Better compliance with HTML and CSS standards
* Additional security settings for both the browser and the underlying OS [ability to
hide drives, etc.] - I think Bob Sullivan mentioned you can get down to the level of
restricting which tool bar buttons are shown.
* The multi-language support.

I think the print preview option is only available in the 5.5 Beta.  In terms of
comparative install sizes, I wouldn't say it is much worse than IE4 - both are
bloated.  As for this statement:

'our tech support cannot "support" IE5 without additional training, plus they do not
want to spend time and money upgrading something with only a miniscule benefit'

Your technical support people should be embarrassed to even make a statement like
that.  I can't imagine what kind of "training" one would need to migrate from IE4 to
IE5 - it isn't that difficult a product to migrate to - the only additional costs I
could even imagine is updates to documentation, a couple hours spent becoming familiar
with the new features and similar activities.  Someone made a comment recently about
this kind of "technical support" - don't settle for those kinds of responses.  Tell
them you want it done and they just need to tell you how they are going to make it
happen.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI

Some of the benefits of IE 5 include:

* Better standards support for HTML and CSS
* Much faster than IE 4
* Additional security