Troubleshoot Interview form

Kathy Gaynor kgaynor at library2.webster.edu
Wed Feb 2 21:12:23 EST 2000

We have a number of subscription databases from various vendors (e.g.
InfoTrac, FirstSearch, Ovid, etc) and use IP recognition to allow our users
to input their university id numbers and gain access.  When someone has
trouble getting in, they call and we have to try to diagnose the problem.
I realized the other night after I had asked a number of questions of a
student in this situation that it would be helpful to have some sort of
interview form that would prompt me for the information I need.  If I as a
reference librarian couldn't figure anything out, I would have the
information to give our systems staff.

I was wondering if anyone had such a form in use and would be willing to
share it?  A preliminary list of questions on the form might include:

Name
Phone
Student i.d. number
Browser version
ISP
Description of problem
Names of databases student IS able to access
Which databases student CANNOT access and whether student has never been
able to gain access
Whether student is using computer at home or office

What additional information would be helpful?

Thank you very much.  I will share the responses with the list.

Kathy M. Gaynor, Reference Librarian		Eden-Webster Library
(314) 968-6950					475 E. Lockwood Ave.
(314) 968-7113  fax					St. Louis, MO  63119
kgaynor at library2.webster.edu