[WEB4LIB] Re: Use of DDC in web displays

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Wed Dec 27 18:50:50 EST 2000

At 4:46 PM -0800 26/12/2000, Thomas Dowling wrote:
>This sort of attitude seems designed to send would-be web catalogers
>flocking to some such freely accessible starting point to create an
>open-source subject classification.

Now there is an idea. I could be done perhaps in the way of the WWWVL
and could even attract sponsorship from groups doing yahoo type
operations.

The support of a large general classification was expensive on paper
and needed to be centralised. That's why there are so few of them and
many dies (like the Bliss scheme). With the internet available
cooperative possibilities abound. Look at web rings for instance.

Tony
--
phone  +61 2 6241 7659
mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au