[WEB4LIB] Use of DDC in web displays

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Sat Dec 23 10:34:14 EST 2000

Wow.  Keeping intellectual property claims from stifling Web innovation is one of Tim Berners-Lee's crusade items.  No doubt OCLC feels they are just protecting a valid IP claim.  (What's that old saying?  "We may be not-for-profit, but we're also not for loss.")  Have their been lawsuits over this issue?

Do a Google search on "Dewey" and "system" and you get a hit list chock full of guides explaining Dewey, in the US and abroad. I wonder how many are also candidates for such letters?

Are you purusing this in other forums?  A good place might be  the CNI Copyright list at http://www.cni.org/Hforums/cni-copyright.  Seems like the W3 Consortium and ALA might have some relevant activities that'd want to be aware of this...

Good luck....

/rich