Do we want a .lib or .library domain?

Julie James JJames at lva.lib.va.us
Tue Dec 19 12:01:12 EST 2000

                 (Crossposted to PUBLIB and WEB4LIB)

Question: Do we want a .lib or .library top-level domain?
If Santa brought us one, would we use it?
Which one?

The question came up at our OITP advisory committee meeting a few weeks ago
(Office for Information Technology Policy). I offered to take the pulse of
these lists. I have reviewed the archives.

The committee reasoned that university libraries and special libraries are
inextricably bonded to their parent organizations, and will want to stay
with their current domains. So the primary inhabitants of the new domain
would be those of us with geographical .us domains, namely public libraries
and community colleges.

* disregard the $50K domain application fee, and the overall administration
of the domain, for the purposes of discussion
* note that any website can own more than one address for the same website

Museums were awarded their own domain (.museum), after the International
Council of Museums and the J. Paul Getty Trust formed the Museum Domain
Management Association and paid the application fee. See
http://www.museumdomain.net/ for more information on formation of the
association and their complete application to ICANN.

Respond to me privately or to the list(s). I will summarize in time for
Midwinter meetings.

Julie

~~~
Julie James