On-campus proxy use

Natalie Sturr sturr at Oswego.EDU
Mon Dec 18 11:47:46 EST 2000

Hi -

Recently, Peter Murray posted the results of his survey on "Proxy Web
Servers and Authentication" - http://www.PandC.org/proxy/

A comment in the survey:
     "Another academic library has set up its EZproxy server to allow
access to IP-restricted resources on campus web server in addition to
vendor provided databases."

Our library is the one doing this.  Peter sent me an e-mail from someone
trying to find out more info - so I thought others might be interested.

We use EZproxy to restrict access to:
  * software for which we have a site-license for home access
  * maps of network activity (intermapper)
  * committee documents so faculty can access them from home

Our campus webmaster & I keep trying to 'sell' this service to various
committees on campus.  When we find a site restricted to on-campus use, we
try to get the owner to run it through EZproxy so campus folks can get to
it off-campus.

Thanks to Peter Murray for doing this survey and publishing the results.
It's been really helpful.

          -- Natalie

        Natalie Sturr                 sturr at oswego.edu
        Systems Librarian             http://www.oswego.edu/~sturr
        SUNY Oswego                   Voice:    (315) 312-3565
        Oswego, NY  13126             FAX:      (315) 312-3194