Forbidden Internet [was Re: streaming audio/video?]

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org
Fri Dec 8 13:11:54 EST 2000

In the same vein of the streaming audio/video thread, I'm planning to do a demonstration later this month to a group of children's/YA librarians on the "forbidden Internet", i.e. widely-accepted Internet features that make managers of public access workstations queasy:

streaming audio/video
online single player & multiplayer games
web-based chat
messaging
web-based email
online shopping for kids using pre-set accounts
Napster/file sharing protocols

Since the focus of this talk is on use by kids and young adults, I'm not going to go into the subjects of auctions, stock trading, online shopping, or online gambling. And I'm also not going to discuss less-acceptable aspects such as porn and hate sites.
Moreover,I'm not going to dwell on whether these services should or can be easily locked down. All I want to do is expose these librarians to the wild range of things the Internet can be used for, particularly things that at first glance seem removed from the library mission.
Are there other Internet services popular with kids & YAs that have given pause to public access managers?

--
Jerry Kuntz
Electronic Resources Consultant
jkuntz at rcls.org