[WEB4LIB] streaming audio/video?

Phillip B. Whitford pwhitford at braswelllib.org
Fri Dec 8 11:24:09 EST 2000

We don't allow any streaming content at present due to bandwidth
considerations. We have a 128K frame relay connection now.  Next month we
are moving up to a T-1 line and I'll allow staff streaming content on an
experimental basis in order to get an idea of the load it puts on the T-1,
the network, and the firewall.

As for downloading mp3 files we allow patrons to download whatever they want
as long as it fits on a floppy drive.  That eliminates most mp3 files.  I
just found out this week that the Gates computers we will soon be getting
come with Zip drives so patrons can download larger files.  We don't provide
a way for the public to play mp3 files at present since they can't
effectively download them. I can see us changing that when the Gates
computers arrive.

Phillip B. Whitford
Braswell Memorial Library
344 Falls Rd, Rocky Mount, NC 27804
252-442-1951
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Braswell Library