Opera 5 (Win) release FREE

Drew, Bill drewwe at snymorva.morrisville.EDU
Thu Dec 7 09:17:17 EST 2000

I thought I would be Thomas Dowling in getting this information out about
the latest Opera browser.

Bill Drew

http://www.opera.com/

[Description below from CNET]

Description
Opera is a user-friendly, versatile, and fast Internet/intranet browser
that also includes a newsreader. The keyboard plays an integral role in
surfing, which can make moving around the Web easy and fast. You can run
multiple windows, even at start-up, and special features are included for
users with disabilities. Opera supports CSS, Java (through the Sun Java
plug-in - for the Java-enabled version click here), JavaScript SSL
(128-bit), TLS (Transaction Layer Security), and more.
Other options include the ability to design your own look for the buttons
in the program; file uploading support to be used with forms and mail; an
option to turn off tables; advanced cookie filtering; and a host of other
powerful features, including an email client enhancement, keyboard
shortcuts, and more.
New functionality in the 5.0 release includes:
·       Integrated search and Instant Messaging
·       Support for new JavaScript versions
·       Updated email support
·       Improvements in memory usage
·       Accessibility to different Web sites, and more
Note: The full version of Opera is now available for free in an
ad-sponsored version. Registered users will not see ads. The registration
cost is $39. The upgrade from Opera 4.0 for Windows is free.

--> I don't know to what extent it supports CSS 2, but since Håkon Wium
Lie, formerly of the W3C Working Group on CSS2, is now one of its chief
developers (?), one would expect it to be fully compliant.  But who
knows.  ;)

-kb

Kevin W. Bishop, Campus-Wide Info. Sys. Coord.
Libraries and Information Services
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
<bishopk at rpi.edu> | <http://www.rpi.edu/rpinfo/>

---