Disable History File

Laurie Schladweiler schladweiler at pimacc.pima.edu
Mon Dec 4 19:40:11 EST 2000

It seems redundant to say what a help this list is (and has been).  I
checked the archives and didn't find exactly what our techs are looking
for.  We want to run IE and Netscape on NT (Compaq pc's) and want to
deactivate the history file on both.  In Netscape, we have the History
file set to 0 days.  That works, but, is there a way to disable the
location bar history?  Scenario would be that one user sits down after
another who has not logged out or restarted and we do not want any
history to be saved.  We want to accomplish the same thing in IE.  Our
techs are using  policy editor but it's their first time so it's posing
quite a challenge.  (They were used to Fortress and Win95.)

Also, is there a way in NT to have the IE and Netscape icons sit on the
desktop so that patrons do not have to go through "Start up" and
"Programs" first to choose a program?

Finally, is there a site I could recommend that would have pointers for
NT security with both IE and Netscape?  I know many you have long since
passed this point--thanks for your patience!

Thank you in advance!!

Laurie Schladweiler
West Campus Library
Pima Community College