[WEB4LIB] Re: Powering down PCs

Robert J. Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Thu Aug 31 10:32:17 EDT 2000

Debra Lords wrote:
> One question, Robert, that you don't address is the issue of the
> amount of power it takes to turn on the machine.  I've heard the
> power drawn to turn on a PC is greater than the amount of power
> needed to run it through the night.

Not to drag this on much more, but it all this really depends
on the system(s) you have, the chip set/speed, "green" features,
additional peripherals attached, UPS capabilities, additional
drives, servers, printers, the supplies they have, et cetera,
but the end product is that, with all these things combined
and the way power supplies operate these days, voltage and
components can be conserved by shutting down properly and
regularly wherever possible.  As for evidence, see the links
I provided in my post and further resources linked to from
there.  A lot more information out there too and at the library :)

> Also, for your assertion that the technology exists to do remote
> start-ups of the machines, this is true, but it does not mean
> that all areas have this technology in place.

No, of course not, and that needs to be address as buildings
get upgraded.  Definitely something worth discussing with
the IT/building maintenance people.

> I guess what this boils down to is folks have to figure out what
> works for your setting.

Definitely.  At least to think about and see if anything
can be improved.

> So I guess I'm seconding what Dan Marmion says.  Each institution
> has to determine, based on the utilization levels of their
> machines and the technology available there, what is best for
> them and for the environment.

That's really the answer, to find that balance.

Thanks for your interest in this subject! :)

Robert