check in / statistics

GRAY, PAUL PAUL.GRAY at TCCD.NET
Thu Aug 31 10:08:08 EDT 2000

This note is being crossposted to Web4Lib and LIBNT-L  - please forgive the
duplication

I got some good answers on this a few weeks ago - but our librarians have
asked me to look for other options
SO If you have read and replied to this message before  - thank  you - and
please forgive the repetition.

CURRENTLY
We are running NT
Currently we have patrons check in and check out using a simple Filemaker
file at a computer the pass on the way to and from our public access
stations.  We run Netscape as a shell for security and ease of access to
web-based services - and run all our local apps using kixstart scripts which
allows us to log usage.

Any or all of the above is open to change if needed to meet the goals below
-

We need a system that tracks patron usage of our public access stations -
It needs to as much as possible prevent a patron from using the machine
until they have checked/logged in
It needs to as much as possible encourage a patron to log off/check out when
they leave
It needs to track -
-what station they are using
-when they started using the station
-when they stopped
-what applications they used while at the station
--if possible when they stopped and started using each application
-IDEALLY we would also like to track web sites visited (yes - I know this is
a whole different issue)
-IDEALLY it would also give as much cosmetic control as possible to the
look&feel of the menu

They would prefer the program generates its own statistical reports - but
data stored in a text file that could be easily massaged in Excel would be
ok.

Yes - I know much of this can be accomplished natively in NT
But - my director has asked me to explore applications that automate as much
as possible
Also - if they want to track unique users - I would prefer not to have to
create 5,000+ new user accounts each semester.

FWIW
The programs we have explored are:
Pharos Sign In -- for our needs not cost effective ($3,500 up front and $500
a year)
CBD CybraryN -- interesting and still in the running but it didn't thrill
their souls

Thanks
Paul H. Gray
TCC Northeast Campus Library