[WEB4LIB] Re: Powering down PCs

HTheyer htheyer at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 30 21:32:42 EDT 2000

At all of our libraries we no longer power down and shut off the computers
at night because our IT department can do remote upgrades and testing when
we don't need the terminals.  We exit from all running programs and "logoff"
from the system, but leave the PCs running.  Having them work remotely early
in the morning before anyone is at the branch sure beats them coming in
while the public is there and doing maintenance when the terminals are in
high demand.  They can also see how widespread a problem may be.  If branch
A arrives at 8:30 am and reports they are down, they can test branch B
before anyone is there to see if they are also down.

It is somewhat disconcerting at first to watch your terminal be possessed
from the outside, windows open and close, and the mouse pointer moves on its
own!  It has saved some drive time and down time however.

Hillary Theyer