Hot Wallpaper

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Wed Aug 30 12:35:27 EDT 2000

                                     _Hot Wallpaper_

 [ http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0008/0367.html ], Stephanie Bianchi  [National Science Foundation] suggested that perhaps one should also consider using wallpaper to promote library services, collections, and resources.

     In thinking about this possibility, Stephanie has also speculated about the possibility of creating what I would call 'Hot Wallpaper'. Here's Stephanie vision:

<QUOTE>
Actually the more I think about the wallpaper idea, the more excited I get
about the idea.  I am envisioning something muted and attractive and
unobtrusive, but with active links embedded in it.  Links to the local
library webpage, the local library OPAC, and a host of ready reference type
sources like dictionaries, almanacs, etc.  What a great service a library
could provide by creating such a wallpaper, and what a great and constant
advertisement for the library.  Every time you look at your PC desktop, you
are reminded of library services, and yet it is such a useful thing you
don't mind being reminded.  I am trying to find someone to design a
template even as we speak
</QUOTE>

      Is Hot Wallpaper possible? That is, can one 'embed' hotlinks in a
wallpaper file?  How about using an image-map as wall paper?
Is this technically possible?

      As Always, Any and All contributions, comments , queries, cosmic insights, etc. etc. are Most Welcome!

/Gerry McKiernan
Promotional Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

P.S. I have learned from Sharon Nelson [Benedictine University] that us the built-in scrolling marque screen saver in Windows 95 and Windows NT to
create promotional screen savers ["If you don't find what you're looking for, please ask for help at the Reference Desk"]

             "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Wallpaper It!"
                            With Apologies (Again) To Alan Kay