Remote access solutions?

Stacy Magedanz magedanz at csusb.edu
Tue Aug 29 12:05:13 EDT 2000

I am trying to research available alternatives to using a proxy server
for remote patron access. We currently use a traditional proxy server
arrangement which requires off-campus users to configure their browsers
to access the proxy server. This process poses difficulties for some
users, either because they are not computer-proficient, because they are
using computers in public settings where they cannot (or should not)
change the browser settings, or because they are using computers behind
firewalls which block access to our proxy server.

Does there exist an alternative for off-site users which meets these
criteria:

1. Requires absolutely no changes to the browser settings. I am aware
that one can write scripts to automatically change the settings for the
user, but this does not solve the problem of public workstations where
the browser settings should be left alone.

2. Is transparent to the user, i.e., they see a web page which asks them
to login; they do not have to launch a special application, change
settings, etc.

3. Works if the patron is using a computer protected by a firewall, such
as in their work environment.

4. Keeps login information secure.

5. Does not require complex setup or continuous tweaking on the
library's part, since we do not have enough staff time to reinvent the
wheel programming-wise.

The only solution I can find which meets most of these criteria is
EZproxy, which I've researched pretty extensively. However, EZproxy
doesn't seem to work if the patron uses a computer protected by a
firewall. Are there any viable alternatives?

--
Stacy Magedanz
Reference Librarian, Pfau Library
magedanz at csusb.edu