[WEB4LIB] RE: 404 page -> hooray for Harvey Mudd College

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Mon Aug 28 10:26:57 EDT 2000

I'm glad that Rich pointed out this page, since it's good to see an
example of a site that really tries to help with its 404 page. But I
have a couple nits to pick about it as well.

The page lists several URLs that were wrong in some published source,
and then offers the corrected version. I say if they know about them,
they should simply be redirecting any calls to those bogus URLs to
the correct ones. I do this all the time, even with spelling
variations (and if you don't know what these might be, monitor your
error log). Why should the user bend over backwards? We should be
doing that.

Rich mentions leaving the bad URL in the browser's "Location" box, so
the user can chop back the url, or correct a typo, etc. That is also
easily done by reflecting the URL in a form field that they can edit
and then hit the "Go" button to go there. You can see this at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/foo .

Finally, they miss some rather obvious methods by which users can
locate what they're looking for: site searching and a site index,
both of which they offer on their site (see http://www.hmc.edu/dir/
). So yes, high marks for an innovative way for letting users stroll
up the hierarchy, but low marks overall for missing some basic
methods for getting the user where they want to go.
Roy

P.S. By my own informal rule of thumb, if my 404 errors went above
.5% (half a percent) I paid attention to my error log and did what I
could to mitigate any error-causing situations. But I could never
really get the error rate much below that, given the tendency of us
all to make typing errors.