[WEB4LIB] Re: The "Commericialized" Library

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Fri Aug 25 18:41:31 EDT 2000

After a long time of being a vapor site, booksense.com is alive.
Booksense is the independent booksellers' response to Amazon.com.
Users enter a zip code to localize the site. So now you can link to
that local bookseller, too, sorta. With our LinkBaton system, you can
let your users pick their destination for your book links from over
20 book sites.

Eric

At 5:04 PM -0700 8/8/00, Nancy Sosna Bohm wrote:
>Re:
>  > >Just a note...  I know that some public libraries have had complaints
>from >the local "little guy" book stores.  As in:  "Why are you promoting
>Goliath >(Amazon, B&N) and ignoring David's Book store?!".
>  >
>  >        Yes. I now recall e-list discussion on the topic.
>  >
>  > > Don't forget that if a local bookseller is paying taxes in your
>comminity they >may have cause to complain.  And often, the local bookstore
>is the one >who will be supporting your summer reading program.
>  >
>  >These are valid points, however ....Linking *may* stimulate a user to visit
>his/her local library to borrow the book  and/or to purchase the book from
>the *local* book store.
>

>And the local bookstore owner could be invited to submit reviews by his
>staff for posting on the library page with a credit line of "so-an-so of The
>Corner Bookstore reviews..."

Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.
http://www.openly.com/           21st Century Information Infrastructure