[WEB4LIB] Need help

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Aug 25 17:53:55 EDT 2000

SS> One of my librarians is having problems with a patron that is
SS> continually abusing the internet usage policy of the library.
SS> She tried using the Netscape & Explorer history logs to gather
SS> evidence, but they are much to weak.

Run the sessions through a proxy server.  Of course the machine needs
to be locked down enough that someone can't bypass the proxy server by
changing browser setup.  The proxy server logs everything, every
blessed file that is received.  Shows the time to the second, and the
IP number of the machine.  As long as you can tie the troublemaker to
a certain machine at a certain time, you've got him (or her, of
course)

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA