[WEB4LIB] Illegal to link?

James Cayz cayz at lib.de.us
Thu Aug 24 15:20:11 EDT 2000

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Charles P. Hobbs wrote:
> (Subject:) Illegal to link?
>http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2619215,00.html
>
>--
>Charles P. Hobbs

Charles, all;

I think we are safe in creating links on our websites, as this except from
the ruling itself offers:

Potentially more troublesome might be links to pages that offer a good
deal of content other than DeCSS but that offer a hyperlink for
downloading, or transferring to a page for downloading, DeCSS. If one
assumed, for the purposes of argument, that the Los Angeles Times web site
somewhere contained the DeCSS code, it would be wrong to say that anyone
who linked to the Los Angeles Times web site, regardless of purpose or the
manner in which the link was described, thereby offered, provided or
otherwise trafficked in DeCSS merely because DeCSS happened to be
available on a site to which one linked.

(pages 52-53 of Court Decision at
http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/courtweb/pdf/D02NYSC/00-08117.PDF)

so, unless you *knowingly* point to something known to be illegal (in this
case, both were found to be true), you're safe.

James