Is a collection different from a resource, or why do I care?

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Mon Aug 21 06:50:02 EDT 2000

Since I started my work here, I have slowly been building a new web page for
our Intranet.  Friday, we (my Boss and I) presented our interface to the
computer folk who will help us write the code and the database to support a
very large collection of links.  In order to gather what was in the previous
page into one page, I have four mouse over icons to represent (1) Library
Information (a compass), (2) Electronic Resources (a flash light), (3)
Library Services (a service bell) and (4) Library Collections (a diner's
music selector).    Library Collections goes to the OPAC, New Books,
journals; while electronic resources goes to electronic journals, internet
links and e books.  Library services are things we do as opposed to things
we have (access to) as Collections and Resources.  The Services are Ill,
Literature searches and a questionnaire about our services.  Information is
hours, service policy, staff roster and that sort of information.

The first thing the computer staff asked is why have resources and
collections?  Why not put them in one button since people don't know the
difference.  We were on sounder ground answering that services were what we
do and resources are what we offer, but did not have a good answer for the
first question.  Perhaps it should be one button for resources and
collections.  Does anyone have a good sense of how most libraries take care
of it?  I will look at as many as I can, but this group has good ideas and I
want to know.

Also I selected a sunflower for our "what's new" icon.  The boss does not
like it.  I thought nothing new under the sun, but something new under the
sun flower.  Oh well.  And I did a blackboard for FDA Headlines since I
could not find a newspaper icon.  Any suggestions for "what's new" and "FDA
Headlines?"

Thanks,

Gary

Gary E. Masters