Internet in Childrens' department

Yvonne Parton yparton at jgrl.lib.ms.us
Fri Aug 18 12:37:56 EDT 2000

We have a two level library.  Our children's computers are on the second
floor in the children's area.  They are filtered equipment, and we use
Cybersitter.  We chose Cybersitter because it was one of few (at the
time)that supported Windows NT.  Any child of any age may use this
equipment, it is restricted for 18 and above.  The equipment is located
around the corner from the YS Coordinator office (not really ideal). But if
your children's librarian is doing the job, there out there and aware of
what is going on.

We have equipment on the first floor for adult users  and children
accompanied by parents(unfiltered).  In addition, we have a separate library
card for children under 18 whose parents have given them permission to use
the unfiltered machines.

Honestly, there are very few children who have applied for the special card.
Most of the kids use the equipment upstairs, but we do not have enough.  We
presently have two computers, with two more on the way.  Use is limited to
one hour, they may contine to use the computer if there is no one waiting.

It would be nice to provide additional equipment for specialized use (word
processing, database research, etc.)  We will probably be examining this in
the near future.  Our state library commission just purchased licenses for
PLATO on-line use throughout the state.  Our one hour usage policy will have
to be re-examined for that.

At our smaller branches, (one level buildings) the children's equipment is
located in each of the children's areas.  Adult equipment is located as far
away as possible.

This might start another discussion thread...
Our policy is to treat patrons accessing "inappropriate" sites (yes this is
very subjective) as a disruptive incident and we treat this as we would any
other disruptive incident.  We ask the patron to "refrain"/back out of the
site.  If they continue to disrupt the others around them, our librarian or
clerk has the authority to ask them to leave the library and restrict them
from using the equipment for a period of time if necessary.

That's my large nutshell,

Yvonne Parton
Staff Development Officer
Jackson-George Regional Library