[WEB4LIB] RE: Internet in Childrens' department

stephanie spearman razl00 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 13:58:04 EDT 2000

We too have the children's area separate on the same
floor. Half of the internet accessible computers are
filtered with Smartfilter (works very well, esp. when
set to the max, use Squid/Linux), half not. Filtered
computers are not directly under a librarian's eye. We
have a line of unfiltered computers under a staff
member's supervision. For security I use reg hacks &
rights & permissions and because I have granular
control over the system I can adjust those things as
needed for the public. Kids sign in and get an hour.
Under 12 needs to be accompanied by a guardian (as in
maybe the big sister/brother comes with them instead
of the parent). Our branches have different rules,
some even restrict the computers to those over 18
(whatever their boards decide). Hence the need to be
able to change things on a small scale in our system.

Stephanie Spearman
Electronic Services Librarian
NW Ga Regional Library System
Dalton, GA