Library Chat Room Registries

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Sat Aug 12 15:29:16 EDT 2000

                          _  Library Chat Room Registries _

have a listing with descriptions of Library Chat Rooms. These lists also include services that are characterized by the phrases 'Live Reference' and
'Real-Time Reference

1/ _ A Survey of Online Interactive Reference Services_

                [ http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/hss/ref/chat/cc3.html ]

  This is an appendix of a Web-based version of an *excellent*  poster shown at  ALA 2000 entitled "Shall We Chat:  Extending Traditional Reference Services with Internet Technology"

                [ http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/hss/ref/chat/default.htm ]

prepared by Ann Lindel, Mimi Pappas, Jana Ronan and Colleen Seale of Humanities and Social Services of the George A. Smathers Libraries of the University of Florida. [Thanks Jana!]

2/ The ELITE Project based at the University of Leicester (UK)

                  [ http://www.le.ac.uk/li/distance/eliteproject/elib/ ]

      Contains an annotated listing of library Chat services as well as annotated listings of library E-mail and web fom sites, MOOs, 'MyLibrary'
projects, and videoconferencing. Each list also contains very useful key
citations [Thanks Danielle!]

3/ LiveReference eGroups list

[Thanks Illene and Gretchen!]

        If there are other lists of library 'real-time' reference services I'd appreciate learning about them.

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

               "The Best Way To Predict the Future is to Invent It"
                                      Alan Kay