[WEB4LIB] where to get "subject headings"

Bigwood, David Bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Thu Aug 10 14:19:53 EDT 2000

Gary,

There are plenty of classification schemes and thesauri about.  The Web
Thesaurus Compendium is at: http://www.darmstadt.gmd.de/~lutes/thesoecd.html
and lists quite a few available on-line.

The Library of Congress keeps track of this kind of thing and has lists at:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/re9804ca.html (Subject codes),
http://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/re9805cl.html (Classification schemes) and
http://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/re9806su.html (Subject/Index term sources).
Some additions to these lists appear at:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/marcginf.html#naa  Many of these are not available
for free, but would have to be purchased.

You could select one list and then only use a subset of the terms.  It would
be nice if your list of 50 or so, linked to scope notes, so people could see
just what is meant by "Administration" or some such term.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Lunar & Planetary Institute