[WEB4LIB] Electronic Books in Education & Training

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Aug 7 18:16:31 EDT 2000

PL> I am doing a little research into Electronic Books like the "Rocket-Ebook".
PL> Has anyone heard or seen any innovative ideas for using this in education &
PL> training?  Ideas that expand the basic Ebook idea into texts that are
PL> interactive and engaging?

Isn't this already available, and called "The World Wide Web"?

Of course there are many other techniques for doing this too.  From
what I've seen of ebooks and PDAs and similar devices, I'd not want to
do much websurfing on them, and probably not a lot of learning other
than reading a reference text.

PL>  I have not had much luck in finding anything that
PL> goes beyond the basic idea of converting the paper format into an ebook.

I may be showing my antiquity, but I'm not convinced that making most
"books" into something "interactive" is a good thing.  Why make
"Hamlet" (or "The Hamlet") interactive?  A film, or audio book, sure.
But I don't see the value of turning "Hamlet" into a video game.

Once again, I'm not in any way opposed to developing new techniques
and technologies in teaching.  I'm also not totally hung up on Mark
Hopkins' Log.  However, making things cute, flashy, or interactive
just because it is "cool" or "trendy" or "the latest educationese BS"
isn't a good thing.

Yes, I'm a certified (and certifiable) old dude....from a long line of
educators...

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA